You can make the vinaigrette a few days early, and store the salad in the refrigerator for up to eight hours, but don't go longer than that, or it will affect the texture and flavor of the ingredients.
- 3 cups (2-inch) sliced asparagus (about 3/4 pound)
- 3 cups quartered mushrooms (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 cup red bell pepper strips
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives
- 3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, cubed (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 (11.5-ounce) jar pepperoncini peppers, drained
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
Steam asparagus, covered, for 2 minutes. Drain and plunge into ice water; drain well. Combine the asparagus, mushrooms, and the next 5 ingredients (mushrooms through pepperoncini peppers) in a large bowl.
Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Pour vinaigrette over the vegetable mixture, tossing gently to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 2 hours; stir occasionally. Can be served chilled or at room temperature.