Find the heartiest bread you can and let it sit out overnight uncovered. I recommend serving this at once for a group, as leftovers can become very soggy.
- 3 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) carton egg substitute
- 1 (4-ounce) package goat cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 (1 1/2-ounce) slices sourdough bread, cut (into 1/2-inch cubes)
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces smoked ham, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
Preheat oven to 350°. Place 1 cup milk, egg substitute, and goat cheese in a blender; process until smooth. Combine goat cheese mixture, remaining 2 1/4 cups milk, black pepper, thyme, nutmeg, and garlic in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add bread cubes; stir gently to combine. Let stand 10 minutes.
Place half of the bread mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange Parmesan cheese, ham, and artichoke hearts evenly over the bread mixture. Top with remaining bread mixture, and sprinkle evenly with fontina cheese.
Bake strata at 350° for 40 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes.