For a golden-brown crust on the scallops, don't disturb them while they cook except to turn them over.
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons commercial pesto
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Pat scallops dry with paper towels; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lightly coat pan with cooking spray. Add scallops to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove scallops from pan; keep warm.
Reduce heat to medium. Add rind and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) to pan; bring to a simmer. Add tomatoes; cook 45 seconds, tossing to coat. Spoon about 2 teaspoons pesto on each of 4 plates. Arrange one-quarter of scallops and about 1/2 cup tomato mixture on each plate. Sprinkle with basil.