Try this as a side dish for beef or pork. Adding a small amount of chicken broth toward the end of the baking time keeps the onions from burning.
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (6-ounce) Walla Walla or other sweet onions, peeled and quartered
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
Preheat oven to 425°. Combine first 5 ingredients in a jelly roll pan or shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray; toss to coat. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once. Pour broth over onions; stir gently to combine. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until tender.
Combine the vinegar and honey, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle over onions, tossing gently to coat.