Makes a great light dinner. Best when eaten immediately after preparation.
- 2 cups (1-inch) sliced asparagus (about 1/2 pound)
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups torn spinach
- 1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 bacon slices
- 1/2 cup chopped Vidalia green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Steam asparagus, covered, 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Sprinkle shrimp with 1/8 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; sauté 4 minutes. Remove from pan; place in a large bowl. Add asparagus, spinach, and beans to shrimp; toss well.
Add bacon to pan; cook over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Reserve 2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Add onions and garlic; cook 3 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; add remaining pepper, 1/8 teaspoon salt, bacon, broth, and the remaining ingredients. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss to coat. Serve immediately.