A great side dish to serve with grilled or broiled fish. Reserving half of the spinach and mustard greens to add at the end keeps the color fresh and vibrant. Though you start with a lot of greens, they cook down quite a bit.
- 3 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 3 (6-ounce) packages fresh baby spinach, thinly sliced and divided
- (about 24 cups)
- 8 ounces mustard greens, stems removed, thinly sliced, and divided
- (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add rice; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add water, 1 1/2 tablespoons dill, half of spinach, and half of mustard greens. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Stir in remaining spinach, remaining mustard greens, 1 1/2 tablespoons dill, lemon juice, salt, and peppers; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.