An interesting and delicious recipe from Cooking Light. Check the label for a six- to eight-count to ensure large canned artichoke hearts.
- 4 (14-ounce) cans artichoke hearts (6- to 8-count), drained
- 8 large egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 4 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups hot cooked angel hair pasta (about 16 ounces uncooked pasta)
- 4 cups bottled marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 400°. Place 24 artichokes in a colander, pressing with the back of a spoon to remove juice from artichokes; set aside. (Reserve any remaining artichokes for another use.)
Combine egg whites and next 5 ingredients (egg whites through pepper); stir with a whisk. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, dredge artichokes in flour and dip in egg white mixture. Add 12 artichokes to skillet; cook 3 minutes turning to brown on all sides. Remove artichokes from skillet; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Set aside. Repeat procedure with remaining 12 artichokes and egg white mixture.
Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until hot. Serve over hot pasta and heated marinara sauce. Sprinkle with parsley.