Yummy brunch for two.
- 1 pound asparagus spears
- 2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine
- 1 cup (1/4-inch) diagonally sliced green onions
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) slices wheat bread, toasted
Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté 1 minute. Add asparagus, water, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add spinach; simmer 3 minutes. Stir in basil and pepper.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese over each toast slice; cut each slice diagonally in half. Place 4 toast halves on each of 2 plates. Spoon 1 cup asparagus mixture over each serving.