I like Basmati rice for this dish, but most any rice will work.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups cooked Basmati rice
- 2 1/4 cups chopped fresh asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon hot chili sauce with garlic
- 1 pound extrafirm tofu, drained and cut lengthwise into 9 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add asparagus to pan; cook 1 minute. Drain.
Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, and chili sauce in a small bowl. Sprinkle tofu with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add tofu to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Add soy sauce mixture; cook 20 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Combine rice, asparagus, 1/2 teaspoon salt, carrot, and sesame oil. Serve tofu over rice.