Wonderful comfort food. Serve as a side dish with broiled fish and a garden salad so you don't feel guilty for the indulgence.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 2/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded fontina or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded extra-sharp
- cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces light processed cheese (such as Velveeta Light)
- 6 cups cooked elbow macaroni (about 3 cups uncooked)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup crushed onion melba toasts (about 12 pieces)
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, softened
Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a large saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick (about 8 minutes), stirring constantly. Add cheeses; cook 3 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in macaroni and salt.
Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Combine crushed toasts and butter in a small bowl; stir until well-blended. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.