Be careful when stir-frying sesame seeds as they tend to pop and splatter. If you can't find black sesame seeds, use light sesame seeds instead.
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (1-pound) package firm or extrafirm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 3/4 pound)
- 3 cups (2-inch) slices asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
- 2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
Combine sesame seeds and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the tofu cubes; toss gently to coat. Combine oils in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; stir-fry 5 minutes or until tofu is golden. Remove tofu from pan; keep warm. Return pan to heat; coat with cooking spray. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 3 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown. Add asparagus; stir-fry 4 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Reduce heat to medium; stir in green onions.
Combine broth and next 4 ingredients (broth through garlic sauce). Add broth mixture to pan; remove from heat (sauce will thicken). Add tofu and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss gently to combine. Serve over rice.