Tons of flavor and perfect for a group dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) skinned chicken breast halves
- 4 chicken thighs (about 1 pound), skinned
- 4 chicken drumsticks (about 1 pound), skinned
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups hot cooked macaroni or cavatappi (about 12 ounces)
- Parsley sprigs (optional)
Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken breasts to pan, and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until the chicken is lightly browned. Remove chicken breasts from pan. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining chicken, and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until chicken is lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in pan. Add onion and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add celery, and sauté 5 minutes. Add basil and next 8 ingredients (basil through bay leaves). Return chicken to pan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer 25 minutes or until chicken is tender. Discard bay leaves. Serve with pasta, and garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.