The eggplant is baked, not fried and tastes wonderful. I make this quite often—it's very easy to prepare.
- 2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cut into ¼ inch slices
- 4 eggs beaten with 3 tablespoons water
- olive oil (to lightly coat baking sheet)
- 1 (28 oz.) jarred pasta sauce of your choice. I use spicy red pepper sauce.
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350°
In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs and ½ cup Parmesan cheese. Dip each eggplant slice into egg mixture, then into breadcrumb mixture. Place eggplant slices in a single layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake about 25 minutes. Evenly spread 1 cup sauce in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
Place a layer of baked eggplant slices over sauce. Evenly spread 1 cup sauce over eggplant slices, sprinkle with ½ cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layer. Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 10 minutes or until cheese melts.