The prep time is worth the effort for this one. Great meal to prepare for guests.
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sliced shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chicken breast halves (about 1 pound), skinned
- 2 chicken drumsticks (about 1/2 pound), skinned
- 2 chicken thighs (about 1/2 pound), skinned
- 2 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 12 shallots, peeled
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 (16-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 1 pound haricots verts or tiny green beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked pappardelle (about 6 ounces uncooked pasta)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Asiago cheese
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
To prepare marinated chicken, combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; seal and marinate in refrigerator 2 hours, turning bag occasionally. Remove chicken from bag, reserving marinade. Heat a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add pancetta; cook 5 minutes. Remove from pan; set aside. Increase heat to medium; add 12 peeled garlic cloves and 12 peeled shallots to pan. Sauté 15 minutes or until lightly browned, and add to pancetta. Set aside. Add vinegar to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently to deglaze pan. Add reserved marinade, and bring to a boil. Add chicken pieces, breast sides down. Stir in pancetta mixture, broth, 1 tablespoon thyme, tomato paste, and red pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until the chicken breast is tender. Remove chicken breast from pan. Cook drumsticks and thighs an additional 10 minutes. Remove the chicken from pan. Cook sauce, uncovered, until slightly thick, about 10 minutes. Add mascarpone, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Remove from heat.
Steam haricots verts, covered, 3 minutes or until tender. Toss with parsley, salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
Combine pasta and Asiago, and toss gently. Serve chicken over pasta mixture, and top with mascarpone sauce. Serve with haricots verts. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.