Great summer salad--use the freshest ingredients you can find. The salad holds well and can be tossed a few hours in advance--but leave out the salt until close to serving time, since it will cause the tomatoes to release their juice. Blanch the green beans up to a day ahead, and keep refrigerated.
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed (8 ounces)
- 4 cups coarsely chopped tomato (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
Place the beans in a large saucepan of boiling water, and cook 3 minutes. Drain and plunge beans into ice water. Drain. Combine beans, tomato, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss well to combine.