The finished glaze will have the consistency of bottled barbecue sauce. Natural sugars in the grapes caramelize on the chicken. The sweet glaze is also great on pork tenderloin medallions.
- 3 cups seedless red grapes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 chicken drumsticks (about 1 1/2 pounds), skinned
- 6 chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds), skinned
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- Fresh rosemary leaves (optional)
To prepare glaze, place grapes in a blender; process until smooth. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cover and cook 10 minutes. Add garlic; cover and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in pureed grapes, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and 1 teaspoon rosemary; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until slightly thick. Cool slightly. Place grape mixture in blender; process until smooth. Set aside. Prepare grill.
To prepare chicken, brush 1 tablespoon oil over chicken; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons rosemary, pepper, and salt. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cover and grill 25 minutes or until done, turning and basting frequently with grape glaze. Garnish with rosemary leaves, if desired.