Simple ingredients make an elegant appetizer.
- 10 slices firm white sandwich bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened (3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup pimiento-stuffed green Spanish olives (3 oz), rinsed, drained,
- and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons medium-dry Sherry
- Special equipment: a 1 1/2-inch round cookie cutter; a Microplane rasp
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.
Cut 40 rounds from bread slices with cutter, then brush 1 side of each round with butter and bake on a large baking sheet until pale golden, about 8 minutes. (Leave toasts on baking sheet.)
Finely grate Parmigiano-Reggiano using rasp (you will have about 1 cup). Mash together cream cheese, olives, scallion, bell pepper, paprika, and Sherry until combined well, then top each toast with 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture and sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Broil canapés about 4 inches from heat until Parmigiano-Reggiano begins to turn golden, about 1 minute.
Toasts can be made 1 day ahead and cooled completely, then kept in an airtight container at room temperature. Cream cheese mixture can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before using.
Makes 40 hors d'oeuvres.