Add a slice of crusty bread and a few black olives to finish the meal.
- 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dried lentils
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dried red chile pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; cook 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
Add water, dried lentils, 1 tablespoon dill, bay leaves, chile, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in remaining dill, vinegar, salt, and black pepper; discard bay leaves and chile. Sprinkle with cheese.